Thursday, August 27, 2009

The Tribe

The H. Roe Bartle Scout Reservation located near Osceola, Missouri is quite a place. I don't know how long it has been in operation, but when I was a kid, it had been operating for several years and it is still growing and going strong. I visited about 6 years ago and was amazed at how much the camp had expanded with new buildings, swimming pools, etc.

Central to the experience of Scout Camp was the tribe of Mic-O-Say. This program was based on folklore, fiction, and history about an Osceola Indian tribe that lived in the region way back when. H. Roe Bartle, a former mayor of Kansas City, Missouri and a powerful political leader in Missouri founded the camp and the Mic-O-Say program for scouting in Missouri.

Being "called" into the tribe was a great honor for a scout. It didn't come automatically just because you were at camp but was something you attained by being recommended by your scouting leaders. You had to be a model scout and live as such even to be considered.

No scout was ever "called" into the tribe at their first year of camp. This was something reserved for second and third year scouts. There were 3 levels of being a tribesman. You were called as a "Foxman," then progressed to a "Brave," and finally you attained "Warrior" status. Other levels of Warrior were attained with projects, programs, and various other things to advance you in the tribe. You could become a fire builder, or drummer, or shamman, but H. Roe Bartle was the chief until he died a few years ago. I don't know who is the chief now.

I was called into the tribe as a Foxman my second year of scouting. The name given to me was "He Who Builds With Wood," based on information I gave the elders of the tribe. I told them how I liked working with wood and my dad had taught me several things about carpentry.

When you were called into the tribe it was done at a huge campfire. Your name was called and you proceeded to an outer circle around the fire ring. Then after everyone was called and assembled a pair of runners came by and literally threw you from the ring and said, "Leave this council ring!" You left with the runners and were taken into the woods to spend the night by yourself and not come back into camp until the runners came and got you the next night about 6PM. It was a long night and you had to stay in the woods no matter what the weather was. In addition you were placed on "silence" for 48 hours. This made meal time at the mess hall a real interesting experience. You couldn't talk and if the campers didn't like you they would ignore you and not pass you any food. Some guys went hungry for several meals. But of course, this made you more of a man!

My third year of camp I made Warrior but this was the last year I attended camp. I never advanced in the tribe.

All-in-all my scouting experience was good. I earned over 30 merit badges. I earned the rank of "Life Scout" but did not complete "Eagle." My troop disbanded when I was a Junior in High Shool and that was the end of my scouting experience. I should have gone to another town and another troop to complete the Eagle rank but I didn't. Now I wished I had. Only 2% of scouts earn the rank of Eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment