Saturday, June 27, 2009

Milk ..... YUK !!!

My dad have several animals on the farm. He had milk cows, beef cattle, work horses and hogs. In addition to these animals there were also two or three dogs, several cats, some chickens, and one pet lamb named Duz. Duz was named after a popular laundry detergent because his wool was so white.

Dad kept the milk cows so we could have milk to drink and to sell milk to a dairy Co-op to generate some income. There was a milk barn where dad and my brother milked the cows by hand. Later on dad bought an electric-powered milking machine that made the milking of the cows faster and more efficient. When dad bought this machine it was "the news of the day" all over eastern Jackson county. It was a step toward modernization that only one other farmer in the area had taken.

I used to go to the milk barn early in the morning when dad and my brother were milking. And on a cold winter morning nothing tasted better than a tin cup of warm foamy milk straight from the cow. Of course my brother would squirt me from time to time and that of course made me mad and I would throw something at him. There was always a small war going on between me and my older brother. Through the years I began to not like milk and I think it is related to the "warm milk mornings." To this day I can't stand to drink a glass of milk ... even with cookies. I don't remember the last time I drank a glass of milk. It has probably been over forty years. To this day I can't stand to drink a glass of milk or watch anyone else drink a glass of milk. However, I do like milk on a bowl of cereal. Weeeeeeiiiiiiiirrrrrrrrrrddddddddddddddddddd !!!

No comments:

Post a Comment